I haven’t shared a fancy fold card for a while now, so I thought I would write a little tutorial to show you how to make a double diamond fold card. This was a new fold for me but I was surprised with how quick and easy it was to make. Who else is put off by things that seem too complicated!?
If you would like to learn how to make fancy fold cards but are often a little nervous to try, why not sign up to my March Fancy Fold Online Craft Class, I would love to help you learn how to make them.
I have used the gorgeous new Paper Blooms Designer Series Paper for this project, available for FREE with a qualifying spend of £45 or more. To learn how to place an order with me, visit my Shop With Me page for more details.
The co-ordinating colour of cardstock that I chose to use is Rococo Rose, such a gorgeous colour. I used a sheet of 12″ x 12″ and cut it down to 12″ x 6″, so you can make two of these cards out of a single sheet.
Simply Scored scoring Tool
I used the simply scored scoring tool for this project, I just love how easy it is to use and how big a platform it is to work with. Priced at £28 you get the scoring stylus with a small and a large stylus and three score markers too, so you can set them to whichever measurements you are using the most.
Oh, and I couldn’t resist showing you all those papers, aren’t they gorgeous!
How to make a double diamond fold card – the instructions
- Line the card up in the Simply Scored Scoring Tool with the long edge at the top. Score the card at 3″, 4 1/2″ 7 1/2″ and 9″
- Make a small mark, either with the sylus or with a pencil at the 1 1/2″ and the 10 1/2″ point
- Turn the card round by 180 degrees and mark it again at the 1 1/2″ and the 10 1/2″ point
- Now line the card up so that the short edge is at top, and mark at 3″
- Turn the card round by 180 degrees and mark at 3″ again
- Now, this is the only complicated bit really, you need to score from the 1 1/2″ and the 10 1/2″ marks to the bottom of the second vertical score lines, going in from the edge to the centre, repeating on the opposite edge. I am hoping the picture below might help!!
Once you have done all of the scoring, you need to bring in your paper trimmer to cut between the 3″ mark on the short side and the closest end marks, both top and bottom. Again, see the picture below or what the video showing how to do the cutting and scoring.
To decorate the card you will need to cut 2 pieces of co-ordinating card measuring 5 7/8″ x 2 7/8″ and 2 pieces of Whisper White measuring 5 3/4″ x 2 3/4″. These are for the front and back rectangular panels.
You will also need three pieces of Designer Series Paper measuring 5 3/4″ x 2 3/4″ which we will cut down to decorate the diamond shapes and the triangular shapes.
Take two of these pieces of DSP to start with and make a mark at the halfway point on all four sides. Make sure that you are as accurate as you can be here as it will really help to keep the card neat. Once you have made all of your marks, cut diagonally between them all, until you are left with a diamond, like the green paper below.
These two diamonds will be stuck onto the very end ‘flaps’ of the card base, and the leftover triangles will be used to decorate the smaller triagnular folded up bits as you can see in the picture, the white paper with the leaves and spots on. You might need to just trim a little bit off the flat bottomed side to make them fit.
The only thing left to do is to repeat the cutting of the diamond with the third piece of Designer Series Paper. Once you have done this you will need to cut it again in half, down the middle of the short side, so you have two triangles with very long bases. Again, you will need to trim a sliver of this long flat side off in order for them to fit.
Then all you need to do is decorate with stamps and any embellishments that you want. I cut a lot of flowers out from the same papers and used those to decorate my card.
If you are getting a bit lost, why not watch the following video to see in more detail how to make a double diamond fold card.
How to make a double diamond fold card – the video
I really hope that you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make a double diamond fold card, and don’t forget that if you would like to learn to make more fancy fold cards, why not sign up to the March Fancy Fold Online Class.
Thank you so much for stopping by today, I would love to see your makes if you do have a go at this fold! If you would like to purchase any of the supplies I have used, you can always visit my online store, I am grateful for each and every one of you who keeps my little business afloat.
Until next time, Happy Stamping xx
- Shop with me online – use Host Code N9FVFB7N if spending between £25 and £150 to receive a FREE surprise from me in December.
- Click Here to come and join our amazing team of Songbird Stampers, a whole new world of fun and friendship (and discounts!!) await you. Want more information? Why not check out all the FAQs over on the Join My Team page
- Why not follow me on Facebook, for live videos, projects and updates – The Songbird Stamper
- Or Subscribe to me on YouTube – The Songbird Stamper