This is the second blog post in a series of blog posts all about watercolour techniques, where today I will show you how to make striped watercolour backgrounds for cardmaking. You will find the other posts in the series by clicking here – Watercolour Techniques for Cardmaking
I have used the same stamp set ‘Forever and Always’ by Stampin’ Up! for the whole series of posts, to try and keep the focus on the watercolour techniques. The biggest tip that I have for making striped watercolour backgrounds is to purchase the Stampin’ Up! water painters. They have a one with a really wide brush in the pack of three which is just perfect for this technique. I cannot recommend them enough.
As you can see, I have not made the straightest of lines, but honestly I don’t think it matters! I really like the slightly wobbly look, though I am sure you could get them straighter with practice if you wanted to.
So, how to create striped watercolour backgrounds for you cards. To create the ink well, use an acrylic block and press it into the Misty Moonlight stamp pad before picking up some of the ink with the wide tipped water painter. Make sure the tip has some water on it and then just lay it flat on the page and drag it accross the surface to give a nice wide mark.
To make the thinner marks, turn the water painter and angle the brush tip so that there is less surface area in contact with the page. This will give you a thinner line. Expreiment with how much you angle the nib and what thickness of lines you can create. It really is a lot of fun!
To create the flowers, I stamped in StazOn, a permanent black ink which is perfect for watercolouring. I stamped the flowers onto the Watercolour paper and then used my Daffodil Delight and Mango Melody stamp pads to colour them in using the smaller brushes. I fussy cut them out and then added them to the finished background with some Designer Series Paper, ribbon and embellishments.
Well, I do hope that you enjoyed my mini tutorial on how to create striped watercolour backgrounds, please do keep your eyes peeled for the rest in the series, or why not look back and see the live ones here – Watercolour Techniques for Cardmaking
Until next time, Happy Stamping xx
- Join Now to get £130 worth of product for just £99, with free shipping and amazing special demonstrator benefits PLUS 200 sheets of 6″ x 6″ Designer Series Paper!
- February’s Host Code is BUVRANP4 – be sure to use this at the checkout when shopping online and for every order between £25 and £150 I will send out a handmade card and a free gift in March.
- Grab a bargain at the CLEARANCE RACK – Up to 60% off normal prices, while stocks last
- Go straight to my ONLINE SHOP to browse all of the different products on offer
- Why not follow me on Facebook, for live videos, projects and updates – The Songbird Stamper
- Or Subscribe to me on YouTube – The Songbird Stamper
- Save 10% on all product bundles, perfect for making beautifully co-ordinated projects