Masking is a great technique but one that is so often underused. We had a play with it at my latest Messy Hands Craft group and the ladies really got into the swing of it, creating some lovely cards.
There are several ways of masking, but essentially what we are doing is blanking off an area of our card, using tape or post it notes, and then stamping on top of these, part on and part off, so that when we remove the tape or note we are left with part of an image. You can see above how I blanked off an area using scotch removable tape before stamping the flower image from the Bloom and Grow stamp set. When I removed the tape, I was left with a space that I could stamp the “Forever starts today” sentiment. All it needed then was a bit of colour and some bling!
The next method is a little more complicated, but gives some stunning results. It involves choosing an image and stamping it onto a post it note. I chose the adorable little meerkats from The Gangs All Meet stamp set, available for free with a £45 purchase until the end of March 2020, or until stocks last!
When stamping, stamp onto the normal side that you would write on and make sure you get some of the image onto the sticky bit of the post it note, so that we can stick it down later. Fussy cut it out, leaving no border at all.
Stamp this same image onto your card, making sure you work from front to back, so here I started at the bottom, as those meerkats were the ones I wanted at the front.
Stick your mask (the sticky note) over this image and then restamp, half on the post it and half off. When you remove the post it you will see your second image poking out from behind the first. I repeated this a few times to get a whole gang or meerkats!
I hope you have fun playing with this technique, it really is amazing what you can do with a little bit of tape or a post it note!
Until next time, happy crafting xProduct List
- Join Now to get £130 worth of product for just £99, with free shipping and amazing special demonstrator benefits.
- April’s Host Code is 9DHBHFJ2 – be sure to use this at the checkout when shopping online and for every order between £25 and £150 I will send out a handmade card and a free gift in May.
- Massively discounted items available on the LAST CHANCE SALE page – grab a bargain before they go
- Grab a bargain at the CLEARANCE RACK – Up to 60% off normal prices, while stocks last
- Go straight to my ONLINE SHOP to browse all of the different products on offer
- Why not follow me on Facebook, for live videos, projects and updates – The Songbird Stamper
- Or Subscribe to me on YouTube – The Songbird Stamper
- Save 10% on all product bundles, perfect for making beautifully co-ordinated projects